- First Race: 2:15 PM
- Gates Open: Noon
- This event has passed.
July 2, 2022
Live Thoroughbred racing starts at 2:15 PM.
The 2nd annual Diaper Derby will take place during the afternoon.
Babies 6-12 months old. Two handlers are required. All spots have been taken.
After Thoroughbred Race 3 (Approximately 3:20 PM)
Baby Diaper Heats 1, 2 3 & 4
After Thoroughbred Race 5 (Approximately 4:30 PM)
Baby Diaper Championship Crawl-Off
RULES FOR THE DIAPER DERBY
- Babies must be 6-12 months old, CRAWLERS only
- Two escorts to accompany baby to the matted track
- Parents/Guardians may use objects/props (toys, keys, etc.) to encourage babies along the course
- No Food due to allergies
- Race Course will extend approximately 10 yards ending at the finish line of the matted track
- If at any point race participants become uncomfortable with the situation (crying, refusal to move, etc.), parents/ guardians may remove their baby from the race
- All participants will receive a swag bag. The champion will receive a Trophy
- Baby must touch finish line to complete the race
- Photos and videos are encouraged
Diaper Derby This Saturday at Emerald Downs
“The Slowest Two Minutes in Sports”
AUBURN, Wash. (June 29, 2022) – On Saturday, July 2 racing fans can witness the “slowest race in sports” as area babies crawl their way towards the finish in the Emerald Downs Diaper Derby!
The Diaper Derby is an American tradition that dates back to the 1930’s and is commonly held at county fairs and halftime shows at basketball games.
The rules are simple.
The first baby to crawl to the finish line wins! Parents can use stuffed animals and toys to entice their baby. There are three races scheduled with five babies in each on a specially designed racing mat. The winner from each race will meet in the championship crawl-off. All participants will receive a prize. Post time for the first horse race is 2:15 p.m. The Diaper Derby will take place after the 3rd Horse Race and the Championship after the 5th Horse Race. Emerald Downs is located right off Highway 167 in Auburn. More information available at www.emeralddowns.com.